History of Cook
William Cook Elementary School (1954- ) was built near what was to become the downtown core in Richmond, on Cook Road near Garden City.
Cook got its name from a pioneer, William Stephen Cook (1859-1940),who in 1906 bought 40 acres of land in Richmond. The land fronted No. 3 Road near Brighouse centre, and the Cook family farmed this land until 1925.
Cook was born in Nova Scotia and travelled around Cape Horn to Vancouver by ship because the Panama Canal had not yet been completed. After his arrival in Vancouver in 1883, he became a successful businessman through interests in hotels, logging, and other construction activities.